If you want to improve how you collect user data, Google Analytics 4 can help. Here is why you should convert from Google Universal Analytics (UA) to Google Analytics 4 (GA4).
With nearly 2 billion websites on the internet, you should ensure that yours has the best chance of getting visitors. Using web analytics tools such as Google Analytics can be a big help.
If you’re a user of Google Analytics, realize that some big changes are coming this year. Google Analytics 4 is now available, and users of Google Universal Analytics face an end-of-life deadline of July 23, 2023 for this service.
When the end-of-life date is reached, Google will stop gathering Universal Analytics data. To continue to be able to gather useful data on your site traffic, your ad campaigns, and you other data key to understanding how your business’s success can continue, you must transition to the new version before then.
If you use Google Analytics, it’s best to make the transition sooner rather than later. Here’s why you should convert to Google Analytics 4 immediately.
1. What Is Google Analytics?
Google Analytics is a web analytics platform that allows users to monitor and analyze website traffic. Google’s platform allows website owners to track many metrics, including the number of site visitors, bounce rate, sessions, traffic sources, and more.
Connecting Google Analytics to a web domain can be invaluable for website owners who are serious about digital marketing and are working to get more visitors and make their experience on you site more valuable.
2. What is GA4? What Are Its Advantages Over UA?
Google Analytics 4 (GA4) is an updated version of Google Analytics that’s now the default version. The original Google Analytics is now known as Google Universal Analytics (UA).
GA4 offers many advantages over UA, including the following:
- More interface customizability
- More control over custom reports
- More reporting detail
- Improved access to real-time data
- Automatic tracking of website actions
- Easier exporting of data
These are just some of the many upgraded features of GA4. Needless to say, GA4 offers a lot to users and goes beyond the functionality of UA.
3. I Like & Know UA. Why Should I Convert? What Happens If I Don’t Convert?
In July 2023, Google will retire Universal Analytics, the older version of Google Analytics. The change is coming, so it’s better to embrace the new version now.
Getting started with GA4 earlier will allow you to get accustomed to the new dashboard. It can allow you to start accessing new features and collecting data and metrics earlier on.
4. What Happens to My UA Data After 7/23?
After July 2023, data from UA won’t be imported into GA4. However, you’ll be able to access data that has previously been processed in UA for a minimum of 6 months after moving to GA4.
If you want to hold on to historical Google Analytics data, then you should export your UA data before it goes away.
5. Can I Merge UA Data With GA4 Data?
Unfortunately, it’s not possible to merge data from both UA and GA4. Because they use different data models, the data can’t be carried over.
Because of this, you should migrate to GA4 as soon as you can. This way, you can start collecting new data.
6. How Will Reporting Be Better?
There are several ways that reporting will improve in GA4. Here are some of the reporting benefits of GA4:
- Enhanced overviews and clearer data visualization
- More flexibility with events and Google Analytics conversion criteria
- A stronger focus on engagement metrics and the user journey
- Better real-time reporting
While there are many more features that GA4 offers, the enhanced focus on conversions, engagement, and the user journey is a big deal. As a result, it’s well worth making the switch.
You Need to Convert From Google Universal Analytics to Google Analytics 4
To have the best experience tracking website data, plan to convert from Google Universal Analytics to Google Analytics 4 immediately. Making the switch now will allow you to start collecting data and get used to the GA4 enhancements and improvements before July 2023, when your current analytics will go dark.
Need help making the switch to Google Analytics 4? Our Google Analytics 4 Conversion and Optimization product handles all the key steps needed to maximize your success, including:
- Ensure the use of a flexible and powerful Google Tag Manager (GTM) container and integrate your existing UA property and a newly created GA4 property into that container
- Transition existing goals, endpoints, and conversions for tracking into GA4 and ensure optimal tracking of this user behavior
- Connect and optimize the integration with other Google services like Google Ads and Business Profile Manager
- Optimize insights into site users and visitors
- And more.
We’re here to help you and make the conversion to GA4 as pain-free as possible and ensure that you are ready for the next generation of the internet.